MaxFund is looking for foster parents willing to foster animals in need of a safe and caring environment in which to reach their full loving potential. Many MaxFund supporters request to foster a particular animal. Here are the kinds of animals that we would like to find foster families for:
- Animals that have specific medical needs
- Animals that exhibit particular behaviors
- Senior dogs & cats
- Pregnant or nursing dogs & cats, and kittens being bottle-fed
View our gallery of dogs available for foster here, and cats available for foster here.
Animals in our loving foster homes are much easier to adopt because they heal more quickly from any existing injuries or medical procedures and don’t suffer from some of the more common issues found in shelter animals:
- Fear of animals or people
- Other health issues related to stress
Please contact MaxFund to learn which animals are eligible for fostering. As with our adoption process, we ask all volunteers to submit a completed Foster Application (PDF or Word document) and schedule an interview with one of our Foster Coordinators.
Because we accept all animals at MaxFund we match their needs with potential foster homes based on the following criteria:
- Compatibility with other animals
- Compatibility with children
- Mobility issues
- Dogs must be leashed at all times while outdoors, unless they are in a completely enclosed, securely fenced area.
- Cats must be kept indoors at all times
As a foster parent your responsibilities include providing a safe and nurturing environment:
- Providing high quality pet food, litter boxes, toys
- Commitment to follow integration best practices to insure the foster animal integrates with any other animals, children and/or spouses.
- Commitment to foster animal until an adoptive home is found.
- Commitment to help find an adoptive home for the foster animal which includes providing contact information and access to the animal for prospective adopters.
- Ongoing communication with the Foster Coordinator regarding any changes to animal’s health or behavior
- MaxFund Animal Shelter will provide:
- Ongoing access to Foster Coordinator and/or Vet Tech to answer any health or behavior related questions
- Vaccines, medications, collars and tags
- Prescription food
- Veterinary care (please contact the Wellness Center for clinic hours)
- Emergency Veterinary Care by appointment and with approval of the Foster Coordinator
If you are interested in becoming a foster or would like more information on this program please contact our foster coordinators at Fostering@MaxFund.org.